BARC India & Nielsen Media explain the impact Of COVID-19 on TV viewership and Smartphone behavior across India in the ninth edition of its report – ‘Crisis Consumption on TV and Smartphones’.
This is the ninth edition of the report on ‘Crisis Consumption on TV and Smartphones’ jointly released by BARC India and Nielsen Media.
BARC India is the official currency on Television Measurement in India and Nielsen Media runs a 12000 strong smartphone panel in India passively capturing smartphone behavior.
Also read: FICCI Frames Report ‘Entertainment Law Book 2020’ dwells into regulatory…
Some of the Key Highlights of TV and Smartphone consumption during the ninth week of Lockdown are as follows-
|BARC India||Nielsen Smartphone Panel|
|Coverage||All India (Urban + Rural)||All India (Urban 1 Lakh plus)|
|TG||ALL NCCS 2+ years||1. NCCS ABC 15-44 years
2. Android Smartphone Users
|Time Period||PRE COVID – 11th Jan 2020- 31st Jan 2020||PRE COVID – 13th Jan 2020 – 2nd Feb 2020|
Week 9 – 16th May 2020 to 22nd May 2020
- After seeing huge peaks in previous weeks, gradual drop seen in TV Viewership (1 Trillion viewing minutes) and Smartphone consumption (3 hrs 43 minutes/day) this week although the consumption is still more than pre-COVID periods
- TV viewership growth over Pre-COVID levels in NCCS A is higher than NCCS CDE, especially in Megacities
- Primetime TV viewership is 13% lower than pre-COVID levels (an effect of no original programming) – decline is more in the South (-18%) than in HSM (-11%)
- Social N/W, Gaming, Education, on Smartphone continue to be at much higher levels vs Pre-COVID Period.
- News genre stabilizes both on TV and Smartphone after seeing peaks in previous weeks while Movies & Originals gain big, grow their share in VOD pie
- Revival post Lockdown evident on Smartphone behavior – Online Shopping begins to move up after the COVID-led-crash.
- Overall AD VOLUME on TV has grown in the last 2 weeks – 16% growth in total FCT in week 20 vs. week 18 – 38% growth in new brands vs. week 18.
- Top 10 advertisers have been consistent on TV throughout the COVID period (week 12 to week 20). Top 40 show significant growth in Ad Volumes
You can access the entire report here: